I was scheduled to teach Sociology of Religion this semester (Fall 2020), but several students in the spring asked me to teach my Sociology of Guns seminar instead. So here I am, teaching the course for the 6th straight year.
Because the course is substantially online, there is not a detailed schedule in the syllabus. The topics I will cover, however, include the following:
- Guns in US history and culture
- Who owns how many guns and why?
- The concealed carry revolution
- Self-defense gun training, with guest John Johnston of Ballistic Radio and Citizens Defense Research
- Diversity in gun culture, with guests Tiffany Johnson and Aqil Qadir of Citizens Safety Academy
- Police Use of Force
- Gun Injury and Suicide, with guests Michael Soldini and Rob Pincus of Walk the Talk America
- Political Views on Guns, with guest Lara C. Smith of the Liberal Gun Club
As always, the course begins with a trip to the gun range, and I will be posting some students’ reflections on that experience with their permission.